03 February 2011

It is cold

Sure enough, it got to -20 last night. I'm just back from a wander around in -18 temperature. It wasn't that bad. I had 6 layers on my top, knee-high socks, jeans, 2 pairs of gloves, a scarf around my face and a hat. The only place that wasn't layered up was a small strip around my thighs, which is very cold.

So, -18 with sunshine is very comfortable (far too hot for 6 layers, actually). -18 in the shade is okay - i wouldn't want to stay out in it all day - at least not wearing jeans. -2 on a damp, windy night in ireland is far worse. the cold here is a weak sort of cold - timid. cold in ireland cuts with the sharpest of blades, then twists that blade inside you. here the cold just sort of hangs around and waves at you like someone who's waving because they feel they should, not out of any real conviction.

it's 10 degrees in the apartment. i have 3 layers on, including fingerless gloves. my arms above the gloves are cold, though. i might put on some arm warmers. arm warmers are go. my arms are warm now. now i feel like putting my hat back on.
hmmm. maybe the cold here has a lingering effect. no - i think it's just 'cause the apartment is so cold.

anyway, i'm going to go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment