08 March 2011

Om Nom Nom

I just made the most delicious muffins ever (well maybe not ever, but they are certainly one of the nicest (that doesn't involve chocolate) I've ever eaten. I found two recipes and smooshed them together, taking the best bits out of both. They were similar enough that I could do this and be pretty confident things would work out okay. I think the nicest thing about them is how light and moist they are. And they are healthy too :)

Here's the recipe, for anyone interested.

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used brown sugar)
1 egg
1/2 cup mashed bananas, very ripe
1/2 cup buttermilk

1 cup whole wheat flour (my cup was semi-heaped)
1/2 cup oatmeal (mine was heaped; one of the original recipes was 2 cups of flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice


Cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg gradually and mix well, beating all the time. Mix in the mashed banana and buttermilk.
Combine the flour, oatmeal, baking powder and spices. Add this to the creamed mixture and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake for 25 minutes at 200C, or until golden brown (mine turned out a dark golden) and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Immediately remove muffins from the pan. Serve warm (optional).

Makes 12

(I think I need a cooking icon that doesn't involve chocolate cake)

3 comments:

  1. Oh yummy, that sounds wonderful. I'll have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I hope you like them as much as I did. I made 6 yesterday and there is one left, which isn't going to make it past this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds Delicious

    They sound delicious. I was going to say you should send us some, but that would not be practical and I don't think we're allowed to post food, anyway. So, I guess we'll just have to wait until you are home again and then you can bake some for us.

    ReplyDelete