14 April 2012

Lucid Dreams

A while back, I was browsing reddit and I came across r/luciddreaming. It quickly became one of my favourite places to check when I had a few minutes with nothing to do. I read the posts and marvelled at some people's natural ability to lucid dream. I wanted to do it too - because I have a little natural talent in this area (I've lucid dreamed in the past without trying and I've always had amazing dream recall).

So I set up my dream journal and tried to remember to do reality checks often (I fail at remembering to do things, though). So I went back to reddit and read about an app that helps you to remember to check if you are dreaming. It chimes at random intervals throughout the day and pops up a screen with "Am I dreaming" written on it. I downloaded that about a week ago. And slowly, the idea to remember to reality check has written itself into my brain. I remember to do it every so often without the app's help. So anyway - that's backstory.

Last night I dreamt I was in a shop, wandering the aisles. As I passed a shelf its generic contents changed to jars of nutella. My brain went: am I dreaming? And sure enough... Woooooooo! I tried to change some things but couldn't quite focus enough. So I tried stabilising the lucidity and that worked enough for me to create a doorway out of the dream (with the intention that it would pop me into a far more interesting space). I went through, but as I did, the lucidity vanished and I was back in a normal - but very adventurous - dream.

I'm thrilled and hope that I can become lucid a bit more frequently. Now I just have to learn how to hold onto it for longer.

6 comments:

  1. "Am I Dreaming" App

    You might want to check out some of Carlos Castaneda's stuff, if you haven't already. "The Art of Dreaming" might be a good start. If you don't want to buy his books, I've got them all.

    Is the app for your phone or is it a program that can be downloaded.

    Love, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: "Am I Dreaming" App

    It's for my iPod. You might be able to get something that runs on a computer. Or actually, we have an old iPhone here that I could bring home for you if you are interested. It doesn't work as a phone anymore, but it runs apps just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: "Am I Dreaming" App

    Sure, bring home the old iPhone and any other junk you've got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is amazing. Go you, i'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about junk comment

    When I read this again I thought that it sounded a bit sarcastic. That was not my intention. What I meant was that if you have got other technology gadgets that you're not using you could bring them home as well.

    Love, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: Sorry about junk comment

    I did think it was an odd word to use, but no worries. Offence is in the mind of he who chooses to be offended.

    ReplyDelete