13 May 2009

a soup of words

yesterday i made soup. it took me ages, way longer than it should have. it was as if time was sucked into a wierd soup-making vortex. but anyway. the soup i made was carrot and coriander (really good - a lot like the soup you get in brackens on paul street). but the thing that gets to me is that the coriander reminds me of ginger bread for some wierd reason, so it's confusing me eating it because it smells like ginger bread, but tastes and looks and feels like soup. so i'm not sure if i'll make this one again. and the recipe said it made 4-6 servings, but i only got 2 and a bit bowls out of it. yes - my bowl holds a pint, but they should know that real soup fans have bowls this big.

i'm not getting much writing done today. but i'm happy with the new beginning of the fall. that had always been my problem, when i wrote it for nanowrimo three years ago, i spent the first few days just getting into the flow, so the first 5,000 words or so were complete rubbish. but now i have a whole new starting, which actually opens the story well - sets the tone and holds elements of the main conflict. i've also dumbed down the two main races a bit too. and gotten rid of a tonne of the religious overtones. the only thing really remaining of that is the names of the characters.

i don't really have a whole lot of news. the princess bride (on monday night) was brilliant. i smiled for the whole film. and for the last few days i've been quoting it around the place.

god, i'm really not in a writing mood at all. it's taken me 20 minutes to get this far in my post.
i'll just go now.

2 comments:

  1. Ah so that answers my question. I always read this from past to future. I hate kinowing the answers before i know the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup takes AAAAAAaaages. I am not sure that it's got a good ROI, but tis very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete