07 June 2012

beee-na-na

I think I just found the secret to good banana bread (possibly - it's not out of the oven yet, but the batter tastes yummy out). People say to use ripe bananas, but they never quite describe just how ripe they should be.
I've discovered that the best kind of ripe* is when the outside of the banana feels squishy, and the inside has sort of melted a little bit, and there may possibly be the start of some fermentation going on (bananas never tasted of rum before). You don't even need to mash them before throwing them into the batter, they sort of fall apart all by themselves.
I shall update again in an hour when this is cooked.

*I have a suspicion that this kind of ripe only happens at about 30°C (the ambient temperature of our apartment).

I may have thrown some chocolate chips in there too :)

5 comments:

  1. Yea, I generally use bananas that are black on the outside and of the same consistency you described. They make the best bread.

    And you totally can't make banana bread without chocolate chips...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you found a way of getting the chocolate chips to not sink to the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No and if you figure it out please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I went and looked it up and apparently, if you coat the chips in flour they don't sink, because the flour in the batter sticks to the flour on the chips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh very clever, I'll have to try that out.

    ReplyDelete