26 March 2013

It's Spring and I'm Excited for Plants

This year I'm having another go at growing things I can eat. Everything died last year when I left them for three weeks, so I've said we can't go anywhere until I get at least one harvest this year. So what am I growing?

The first thing I planted was a potato from the pantry that had sprouts growing out of it. I can't even remember what kind of spud it was, but I think a russet. We'll see anyway, I suppose. At the moment it's a foot tall with three leafy stalks. I fill it in with more soil every few days in the hopes of getting more potatoes out of it. I'm quite excited about it, but it's only a spud and an experiment at that, so my hopes aren't too high.

Next up was the basil. I planted two lots - one in a big pot outside and the other in a little glass inside. The one in the glass came up last week and there are a million basils growing because I just poured a bunch of seeds in. The pot outside came up today. I was so happy to see it - tiny little green things all happy and growing. River got very excited at my excitement and celebrated by licking my face.

Next comes my big hope for the summer - strawberries. I'm not sure how well I reported my strawberry failure last year, but I got some seeds and managed to kill them all. They sprouted fine, but they never got beyond tiny seedlings. So this year I bought a kit with root balls and a hanging planter and I check on it every hour. There's no sign of anything yet, but it's only been three days. I just want to have my own strawberries so badly. I imagine they'll taste like rainbows and stars and fluffy coloured things. Or maybe just strawberries. Anyway.

Yesterday I planted coriander. Coriander seeds are massive, like little gooseberries (like really little - half a centimetre). No movement on them yet, but that's fine. So I think that's all my growing.

1 comment:

  1. It's kinda funny that after my last post i'm the one who rarely checks LJ and that it's only now i'm reading this post.

    I never asked you how your growing was coming on recently. Hope they are all doing well and you get to eat some delicious strawberries.
    My home grown strawberries never turned out that well, last year the birds ate them all I think.

    ReplyDelete