27 March 2014

How I Worry

First is the old and much turned over (tee hee hee, pun) car crash. It's very boring and it quickly gets swapped out for explosions. Something exploded and there are little husband bits all over factory rubble. My rational brain says, someone would have contacted me. My petty brain goes, no one cares enough*. After this a part of me goes, explosions are a bit ridiculous; there must have been an earthquake. Never mind that I felt absolutely nothing here, just 5 miles away. And after this it gets into the fantastical realms of someone has him locked up in a secret underground bunker. It elevates to this level in a matter of seconds, and this one hangs around for a while as my imagination goes through what they are doing in that bunker - tests for science, or torture, or some horrible questioning session (who knows what the questions are about).

Do I have issues? Is this normal? Do other people worry like this?


*My petty brain is the stupidest thing in the world. And the problem is that my body listens to it and not my rational brain. It's very annoying.

1 comment:

  1. It's not normal for everybody. But, then, what is? For Fire Element people, or people with a reasonable amount of Fire, this kind of catastrophic thinking is quite common.

    It's a sort of playing out Murphy's Law. What can go wrong! We think about it and make it into a very dramatic scene. In my case, it was about me being the hero and coming to the rescue.

    Over the years I discovered that none of them every happened and it was purely something I did to myself. It was if I did not have anything real to worry about I'd imagine something terrible.

    The two ways I got over it were

    It's outside my control so there is nothing I can do about it.

    As soon as I realised that I was beginning to think that way, I'd become present and think about the people involved as they really are and use presence techniques to get myself back into peace.

    ReplyDelete