13 September 2011

Loom Knitting

The thought going through my head right now is: I love having hands. I bought a loom knitting set today, and have just knit my first row (actually - I just cast up) and it was really fun and really easy. I've wanted to be able to knit my whole live. Ever since I was a girl I'd watch mammy knit with an ease that seemed rather miraculous to me, becuase whenever I tried it the wool got knotted, the needles kept slipping from my hands, the wool was too tight, or too loose, and my hands just couldn't handle it.

I've vaguely considered crochet, but that also involves holding a small implement and my hands get hot holding things and it's just really, really hard. Enter the loom. It's a circle with wide pins standing up. You wrap the wool around the pins, then use a hook to pull the loops over. Look up "loom knitting" if you want to know how it works.

So watch out, everyone. Hats, scarfs and other small knitted things will abound and will start to fill wardrobes and drawers :)

In other news (I wrote knews... sigh) River went into her bed-crate thing all by herself last night. It was about half eleven and I was off to bed. She walked into the bedroom with me, and I expected her to flop down on the carpet. But she didn't. In she walked to her little bed (the one she howled and whined to get out of when we first got her) and settled down, all by herself. We were so proud of her :)

We went to cienega forest again yesterday. After a slight wrong turn (or more precicely - not being able to follow the trail (it just seemed to vanish into about 5 different trail-looking things)) and a massive climb up the side of the mountain, we eventually found the trail and had a wonderful 2 hour walk. Ceader and pine smell amazing. I'd totally go there and just plonk myself in a glade and smell the air for a few hours.

That's all my news, I think. Now back to knitting :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh forget my last post with the confusion about you and knitting, it's all explained here.

    Ahhhh... that is so cute River went straight into her bed, would that be because you totally exhausted her out walking again?

    That is super cool you went for another walk, i'm slightly jealous of you with the fabulous smelling trees and warm weather. Ah well, it's not too bad here either.

    I look forward to getting a hat from you too, can mine be slightly multicoloured? You could buy mulitcoloured wool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comments were going to be very similar to penelope_stone.

    ReplyDelete