16 September 2011

more knitting

I have a glove. That's right, one glove. Here it is :)




I'll have to start on its twin tomorrow. This one took me 3 days (maybe 13 / 14 hours). I'm not sure if the next one will take longer because my motivation will drop a little (I already know how it's going to turn out) or will it take less time because I know what I'm doing.

And for future reference (more for myself than anything else), the pattern*.

starting at the back (at the top of the arm)

cast on 18 stitches (for chunky wool)

seed stitch for 4 rows
k1, p1
p1, k1

switch colour (this counts as a row)
knit for 8 rows

switch colour
knit for 8 rows

do this 2 more times for 4 knitted rows of stripes (you have 5 stripes all together by now)

knit for 7 rows

on 8th row cast up 5
on 9th row cast up 5 on the other side (so it makes a kind of T)

knit for 8 rows (not sure if you count the cast on, or not)

cast off the T over 2 rows
switch colour (this may not count as a row)
knit 4 rows (casting off 2 stitches somewhere around here - i got really confused at this part. i cast off 2, but then my count looked weird and i cast off another. then i realised my mistake and was down a stitch. oh well.)

do 2x2 ribbing for 8 rows
k2, p2
k2, p2

cast off
mattress stitch the seam (this sewing technique is kinda cool - is this how people get sewn up? it totally is!)
done


Having never done any of this before, I had to look loads up online (cast on, cast off, and mattress stitch). I have a book, but trying to learn from diagrams is hard. Thank goodness for youtube.

*I did have a pattern, two actually, but I followed them quite loosely, making my own way as I went along.

6 comments:

  1. Woah, i'm well impressed.

    Change my earlier request for a hat to a pair of gloves. That is the coolest glove ever, go you i'm amazed. You're going to have a bag full of hats and gloves and scarfs when you come home (all for me... :p).

    Oh what date are you coming home actually, I must mark it in my diary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to, but I don't think I have enough time to make all that. I'm kinda slow. What would you like best... hat, gloves, scarf, slipper-socks, shawl, something else along those lines?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and we'll be home Thu 20 Oct 11 at 10:20am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gloves or a scarf I'd probably use most, i'm not the best ever for wearing hats unless i'm working and i totally wouldn't be able to wear a hat you made me to work. It'd get destroyed.

    But don't stress, if you get a chance to make me something cool if not i totally understand

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, i'll write that into my diary so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Askea keeps beating me to all the comments I want to make.

    ReplyDelete