28 April 2007

india: the short and dirty

it's really wierd, checking my journal on a computer in a forign country. emailing people wasn't so bad, but this is such a normal thing - i just checked my messages and was like "i only ever do this at home". odd. it's strange to think that i won't have a home for a year. not a real one.
it's funny the places you find to feel "safe" while away from familiar territory. airports and while in a car / plane are the only places i feel are familiar to me these days. it's a bit stressful, really, not having anywhere to ground yourself - i find my eyes welling up and my throat constricting at random intervals, but it passes quickly and everything is good again. i was just saying to penelope_stone how the good bits are amazing and how the bad bits are annoying, but quickly forgotten when things are going well.
i'd hate to have something really bad happen. i don't really think i could handle it.

so yea - this is a copy of the email i sent to everyone.


we're in Dharmshala now, with the monks and the Tibetans. one annoying thing about India is the Indians. everyone else is quite nice, but the Indians are such a pain.

we had a bit of an adventure when we arrived here (in India i mean). our hostel had no booking for us and so we were homeless in Delhi, in a cab that didn't know where the Tibetan enclave was. he brought us to a travel agents instead, which told us that every hostel in Delhi was booked out because of Indian holidays.
anyway - we ended up spending e1000 on an all inclusive tour, which has been working out very well, but wasn't really what we wanted. although, i would hate to have to deal with Indians at every stop, because this way we just get in a car, go to our next destination and check into our hotel when we get there.

so, apart from the people, India is a beautiful place. the Himalayas are amazingly beautiful. Delhi, while hot, has it's charm. there are tonnes of trees everywhere, a pleasant change from the fields and ditches of Ireland. i don't have pics, cause they are all on Askea's camera.

yep - so much has happened, and i have a wonderful journal that i'm writing in every day, but i'm just too lazy to take it out of my bag and type up.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post and look forward with interest to more India postings. I went there about 10 years ago and hope to go later this year, or maybe next. It's a fascinating country. How long are you there for?

    Good luck with the rest of your journey, and may your belly never be 'Delhi' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. God.

    This came as such a surprise!
    I am so excited for you.

    I totally understand what you mean when you say that the only places you feel safe are in a car or airport...
    I remember when I was in Cambodia, I was always so nervous stepping into a public place. But that sort of thrill is what I love about travelling...
    I hope its the same with you..

    Keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you started off well. I've been checking eBay and you haven't appeared yet ;) so I take that as a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LUCKY!!!

    Not to sound corny but enjoy every moment you have and don't worry about getting a little choked up. Traveling is supposed to open your eyes and your home is well...back home. Safe and sound.

    India sounds absolutely beautiful! If you ever get a chance to upload those pics please do so. I'm looking forward to your posts and can't wait for future ones.

    Question...have you gone on the trains yet???^_^I've heard from some of my friends who are Indian that those are quite the 'experience'.

    ReplyDelete