22 August 2012

I'm making a dress

Ever since lordkilljoy sent me a link to some 50s swing dresses a few years ago, I've been obsessed. I think they are the most beautiful dresses a woman can wear. But they are way too expensive to buy and I've contemplated making one for ages. So, last week I came across (very accidentally - I was looking at a random craft tutorial generator) a beautiful pattern - the most different I've seen - and I had to make it. It's vogue 2903, and it looks like this:

V2903

I bought the pattern, read the instructions, got material and notions (look at me using proper terminology) and today I cut out the pattern pieces. It took ages and my hand was killing me from holding the scissors by the end of it. I went super-carefully, ironing the printed sheets first then cutting exactly on the lines.

I hope to get the mock-up material cut tomorrow. And maybe start on the sewing that. :) It's going to be so cool. I'll update again (tomorrow I hope with the rest of my progress).

5 comments:

  1. Nations?

    Well done Ria, one question, what are nations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary's comment

    Mary says the dress is gorgeous and best of luck making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Nations?

    I meant notions. It's a fancy word for the things that go along with sewing - like thread, and zips. And needles and things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: Mary's comment

    Was Mammy's tone "best of luck, because this will be hard and you're going to need it," or just wishing me well on my project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: Mary's comment

    Mary is very confidant of your ability to do a great job on the dress. She was wishing you well.

    Love, Mary and Brian.

    ReplyDelete