08 August 2012

I'm such a lazy person

I don't know if I've mentioned on here how much I hate doing the dishes. I really do. There is no worse thing to do, in my opinion. Messing around with dirty water, getting it all over you and the kitchen. Scrubbing (I don't actually mind this part), rinsing, drying. I skip the last part. If there's something worse than washing the dishes, it's drying the dishes. The towel is wet after one pot and for the rest of the endeavour you're not really accomplishing much except putting towel bits all over your nice clean dishes. So I lie a towel on the counter and let the dishes drip onto that until the air dries them. Air doesn't mind drying dishes.
Anyway - I had to do the dishes today (our AirConditioning is still broken and I couldn't have the man see the ginormous pile of pots and other non-dishwasher things that had stacked up. and they had gotten a small bit smelly.) and it took me ages. The whole counter - about 1.5m x 1m - is filled with them drying. So that's done now anyway. I tell myself I'll try to do them as they occur from now on, but I know I won't. The weekend will come and I won't feel like doing it and then it'll be Monday and there'll be too many to face so I'll leave it til Tuesday, when there's even more and it's not until I have no pots and no pans left (and I have many) that they'll get done. Sigh.

I made French onion soup today for lunch. It was good. Not quite as good as that which you'd get a restaurant, but I didn't have 2 hours to let the flavours really develop - because I was hungry. The onions were slightly too crunchy and the broth wasn't quite flavourful enough. But it was good for lunch.

I can't think of anything else.

3 comments:

  1. Awful chores

    How long has your air conditioner been broken? I assume you haven't got a dishwasher! Water is the best solvent!

    Milking the cows, particularly on Sunday evening, used to be one of the chores we hated. There was always a row about who was going to do it. We knew it had to be done and for some reason we could never devise a rota or a schedule for who would do it.

    It was the same with many jobs around the house. After I "retired", Mary and I went through it a bit about the ironing, cleaning and other jobs about the house.

    Anyway, back to washing the dishes and of course drying them. We always do it immediately after we're finished eating. To make it real easy we always soak the dishes in water and fill the pots with water as soon as we are finished with them. The dirt usually just falls off them and there is very little scrubbing to be done. For the really tough ones we leave them soak over night.

    When it comes to drying we usually let them air dry for a while before using the cloth.

    I suppose the big difference is my attitude towards the chores. We used to make a big deal out of them, always putting them off and waiting to be forced to have to do them. Now I do them on auto-pilot and just enjoy whatever is going on in my mind as I do them.

    Every so often we say to each other what was the big deal, why did we make such a big issue of what we seen as a chore when it only took a few minutes to do when we really got down to doing it. A couple of examples - Mary said it yesterday after taking up a pair of trousers that had been sitting around for yonks; I said it a few weeks ago after pulling the tree in the front into an upright position.

    Really it's just a bit of work but we do really get caught up in its "choreness".

    Love, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummm.... french onion soup, I might have to try that one out.

    Poor you and the dishes. Perhaps you should do a pot wash in the dish washer. I don't think it's the best ever for non-stick though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, manufacturers warn you that the abrasiveness of the washing stuff damages the coating. I do wash some of the smaller pots and pans in there, and they've all come out okay so far, but the big ones won't fit.

    ReplyDelete