01 October 2007

of coalmines and capoeira

More countryside travelling this weekend. On saturday we hiked around rakaia gorge - 15kms of a winding trail - up, down and around the gorge. the sights were quite good - all turquoise blue water, green trees and fields and snowcapped mountains rising over everything. the trail dove into small patches of trees - all light green with new growth - small trees, fern, bushes, the odd pine. and the coolest thing? a coalmine. it was just like something from oblivion - all it needed was the goblin decorations surrounding the entrance - skulls and torches and the stink of rotting meat. excellent. it's the coolest thing i had ever seen (as demonstrated by my reaction: penelope_stonewow!. me: what? [a pause as i look up] me: woah - that's the coolest thing i've ever seen!) while it looked something like a cave, it was just so much more - it had a metal gate locking in the darkness and the evil... it reeked of adventure - it was cool. (and slightly scary - i wouldn't want to go exploring in there)

so then on sunday penelope_stone dragged me to a free dance workshop - capoeira, which is a brazillian kind of fighting dancing thing. it was ok - i didn't really enjoy it because i'm just too inflexible. and my muscles are killing me today. i can hardly walk.

today is a bank holiday in australia, so work is really quiet. i've been using the time to research our trip across america. i think we'll go to arizona / sedona / grand canyon, then LA for disneyland and napa valley, then to san fransisco, then yeosemite, then yellowstone, then the western rockies, then miniapolis, chicago, niagra falls, NY, boston. all in one month. it should be fun.

10 comments:

  1. PS - the slave-driver

    You're making penelope stone out to be a slave driver. I'm sure you're going along quite willingly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exploring

    I was wondering if all these walks you and Penelope Stone are taking are on what looks like an extinct volcano sort of south of Christchurch.

    I inadvertently used Penelope Stone's other name in one of my comments or posts. Is this just unethical in Live Journal or is it downright criminal.

    Drawing a west east line across America it would seem that LA would be the first stop rather than AZ, but I'm sure you've got good reasons for the way you're organising it. It will be great fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool Picture

    The picture you use is really cool. Is this one of yours. Had a quick look in Your Deviant Art. It's all very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: PS - the slave-driver

    well you know what she can be like. i did want to go to rakaia gorge, but i really wasn't that keen on the dancing. but i did go along, because my desire for us to do stuff together overrode my lack of enthusiasm for the activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: Exploring

    no - it doesn't really matter what name you use. i just always use the livejournal linking feature, so i always refer to her as

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: PS - the slave-driver

    as for america... we could have done, but we have to go back through LA anyway to get to san fran, so i decided that heading out to sedona, then back to LA was the better way to do it. we'll have a chance to acclimatize a bit without having to figure out the city.

    we're probably going to take the train so that's adding to the limitations. but anyway - it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re: Cool Picture

    thanks. and no - it's my character from oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re: Exploring

    Oh don't worry, people use my other name all the time. It's perfectly ok.

    And i'm not a slave driver at all. I told ria she could sit out the dancing but at that stage she had already started and couldn't allow herself to just quit...

    And by the way I loved the dancing. I can see my self even practicing at home once my muscles all get better. It was cool, there was a lot of roll around on the ground. But it looks best when two people do it together, guess who's going to be my dancing partner? :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re: Exploring

    :raises eyebrows warily: i hope you don't mean me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re: Exploring

    But of course, who else is there?

    ReplyDelete