03 October 2007

you need lightning before a tornado

that was the thought that went through my head as i got the bus into work today. why couldn't it have hit me last night? the wind lashed around our house, whipping the trees and driving the sleet horizontally across the yard beside our house. bit's of leaves and planks of wood flying across the window. it came up our of nothing; the sky had been clear and calm when i walked home last evening. then lying in bed, reading, the wind just slammed against the window announcing its presence in a freakishly tornado/hurricane-like way.
and just as i considered running into penelope_stone for moral support against the terrifying wind, she came into me and jumped into my bed. for her to be afraid of the wind is a very bad sign. we freaked out a bit and packed emergency bags (with warm clothes and important documents).

thankfully the house didn't blow away and everything was ok this morning. hailstones had turned the ground white as i left for work, so donning hat, scarf, coat and gloves, i braved the elements for the 2 minutes it took me to walk to the bus stop and took the bus into work.

the sun is shining now, but i think it's cold out.

not much else to say - we are having a pig-out day in work. everyone brought in some food and we've been nibbling all day - i made choc-chip cookies. yummy. i'm so full of junk now though. and i ate dinner too - well, half 'cause i wanted to eat something substantial.

3 comments:

  1. Piggin out

    I used worry about the substantial meal when I was piggin out. But then I tried dropping it and it really worked. I got on much better with the junk food when I didn't have a substantial meal confusing my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Strorm not so Cool

    I never experienced anything like that. That was some storm. Delighted that you survived it ok. By the sounds of both you and Askea's posts you got quite a fright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Piggin out

    oh really? wow. that's wierd. but junk food dosn't really fill you, you just feel hungry for the whole day. so i wanted something to make that go away.

    ReplyDelete