07 September 2010

a5 paper

i have come to the conclusion that kitchen sinks were not designed with women in mind. this doesn't surprise me, because they were probably designed by a man. every time i wash the dishes my back starts hurting me and i have come to the conclusion it's because i'm forced to hold my arms (and therefore shoulders and back) at an angle that isn't suited to my height.

yea, that's all i wanted to say. i'm hanging out here letting my back chill out a bit before i go cutting paper.
i've spent the last few days looking for a5 printing paper. my book binder is a5 sized and i wanted the paper to align perfectly. but it turns out that no one stocks a5 printing paper and so i was forced to cut a4 in half. the reason i didn't want to do this is because i can never get a sharp enough knife (that stays sharp - paper has this magic ability to blunt knives, it's really annoying) and after i've cut 20 sheets or so, the edge starts getting ragged. this gets worse the more sheets i cut through. i have a knife sharpener beside me this time, but it's still hard to hold a straight line as you cut down through 200 sheets or whatever.
i guess the good thing about doing things this way is you get double the paper from one ream.

right so. back i go to cutting paper.

4 comments:

  1. what if you go to a print shop? they usually have special knives/machines to cut paper to the needed side. (we have one close to the university that specializes on all kinds of stuff students need to print, that's where i know it from.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Designers

    The problem is not with male designers. The problem is that all designers assume an average height. It must be 5'5" because when I spend a long time at the sink my shoulders ache from stooping over.

    Couldn't you buy a guillotine or take them to a print shop, talk nicely and they'll do it for you for very little dosh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, I thought of that. I just figured it would be a bit expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: Designers

    I don't want to buy a guillotine, because I'm afraid each batch of 10 sheets or whatever will come out different and then it won't glue together properly.
    And I kind of don't want to be buying things if we are moving.

    ReplyDelete