05 August 2008

so much for writing

this is bad. i've not done any writing in about a week (perhaps - not entirely sure how long it's been) and my novel has fallen off the recent documents list. this has never happened before. it's always been there. so i had to go open it manually and i couldn't exactly remember where it lives on my pc. i knew it was in my documents, after that it was a bit hazy. and considering that i have 18,583 files and 1,672 folders in my documents, being a bit hazy isn't exactly the best thing ever. but i found it ok - yeay for organization. i have a folder called writing and it was a little buried in there.
so yea - i'm finally getting back to my novel. it's procrastination for genre_challenge. heh - that excuse might actually work and everything.

i went to see the dark knight again last night. me, barry, adrian, dee, craig and john all went. so it was like a big d+d reunion, because john hasn't been around at one of the games in ages. anyway, the film was absolutely excellent the second time. everything pulled together in a graceful symmetry (that phrase just popped into my head). the other cool thing was that it didn't drag at all the second time.

i had a really wierd dream last night. it started off with me in hospital. i can't remember what was wrong with me, something serious or mental or something. anyway, it was daytime and we were having lunch. it was in a dingy, dark corridor just outside my room. there was a spread like a four year old's party - a colourful (but drab) tablecloth, plastic drinking things, paper napkins. it had this kind of sordid atmosphere but i enjoyed myself anyway, because it was more fun than being poked and prodded by doctors and nurses. so then the meal (don't actually remember any food) was done and there was some juice left to be drunk. a nurse filled a glass and dropped a fizzy tablet into it. me, thinking it was vitC, took it willingly and drank it all - because vitC is good for you. a few minutes later i couldn't hold my head up and i realized that it had been some sort of sleeping tablet thing.
skip some, and i'm out of hospital, walking home. but i missed the turn up a road and ended out in front of a big grassy area. a scruffy looking guy came up to me and i knew he was bad news. he took out a knife and told me i was to go see the cappa (this word comes from the lies of locke lamora - means leader of a group of thugs). so i went along, not wanting to risk my life. i met the cappa up the road a little and he was as charming a scallywag as you could imagine. i was honoured to meet him and i told him so. he wanted me to infiltrate somewhere for him (the hospital maybe?? can't remember). so we walked on a bit - out into the countryside and across some train tracks. i didn't know how to get home from here, but wasn't all that worried. the gang hadn't killed me, so that was good.
there was a lot more, but it had faded now. i think there was some bit in the city centre, involving the outside of a shop and me being unable to fulfil the task the cappa had set me. but i could be remembering an old dream...

not much else news - lordkilljoy got me into "time to pretend" by MGMT. it's good, but has a somewhat depressing vibe - nothing overt, just something underlying - like paranoia during a trip or revelling in the knowledge that nothing can be good forever, because everything dies and everything ends. but it's still a great song, possibly because of that, rather than in spite of it.

3 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I like "Time to Pretend" is the fact they know how crap the Rock n Roll lifestyle is and they going to "Pretend" their way through it all. Well thats my take anyway :)

    "Time to Pretend is a space-rock gem that mocks the clichéd coke-and-hookers rock-star lifestyle, over big synth whooshes." - Kevin O'Donnell, Rolling Stone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was a little bit of a crazy dream. On the subject of Loche, have you finished the second book yet?

    I wanted to say something else but now i can't remember...

    Oh I remember now, are you hungry by any chance, i'm starving and i couldn't be bothered getting up, walking into your room and asking you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no. i'm not hungry.
    and i should be finished red seas by next week.

    ReplyDelete