29 November 2010

trip downtown

It was freezing today. This is the coldest it's been since we got here. It didn't get above 3 today. It was -1 early this morning. And I can now report on the temperatures accurately, because we got a little temperature sensor for outside.

I finally made it to downtown abq today. What a disappointment. It was more like south mall, where i was expecting patrick st. there was just the courthouse, city hall, the library and some other official places. I got the bus in - it was mainly straightforward (except i put all my money into the little box at the same time (as you do in dublin) and the driver had to take it out and put the coins in one by one) and the journey was short enough. $2 gets you unlimited bussing for the whole day. Not bad at all.

I joined the library. Got out a random trilogy. It was the only intact (as in, all three books on the shelf) set they had. I may have to do a bit more research into which branch has the most sci-fi / fantasy books, because the main library was sadly lacking.

And the most awful part of the day was losing my hat. My lovely warm, long, cool, ultra-complimented hat went missing somewhere in the library. I think I left it down when I was filling in my application form and someone else must have picked it up and walked away with it. :( It wasn't in the lost and found, but I asked the librarian to ring me if it turned up anyway. I'm really sad. I had that hat for ages (8 years or something) and it had a few close calls, but I always got it back. Let's hope I get it back this time too.

2 comments:

  1. You hat

    Sorry to hear about your hat. Is there no department stores downtown, or Hugenot Quarter, or Oliver Plunkett Street equivalents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. There was just functional buildings. I actually think where we live is one of the biggest shopping areas here. it's kinda mad, but full of chain stores. I'd like to find some nice indie shops that sell different kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete