29 December 2010

Snow Cycle

I want to post about my cycle, too, but cycles and airport security do not go together at all, so this gets its own post.

It was 0°C at 9am this morning. I wasn't really inspired to go out for a cycle. So I waited a bit and the temp went up to 2. Still cold. I was cold, I really didn't want to go outside. So I had the bright idea that if my body was a bit warmer going outside wouldn't be so bad. A quick google and a few seconds later I had a youtube of warm up exercises open.
Yep - I did warm up exercises for the first time ever going out for a cycle. I'm glad I did, too. It was freezing outside. The first minute of cycling was so cold. I was only wearing a long sleeve wicking top and I could feel the cold air hitting my chest. There's a long hill pretty much first thing once I get out of the 'estate' so that warmed me up nicely. I got cold again on the way down the other side of the hill, though. I couldn't feel my fingers.
Sort of half way around my circle (it's more of a very lob-sided pentangle) it started snowing. Just a flurry, but it was snow all the same. I sort of wondered what I was doing out for a cycle, but I didn't go out at all last week (it's amazing how the cold makes me want to stay inside), so I felt if I didn't force myself out today, I wouldn't go for a cycle until February.

I got home, and penelope_stone's warning about re-heat pains was loud in my memory. So I did some cool-down (aka warm your body up again after being so cold) exercises (using the same youtube as I did for warm ups). It may have helped? I still couldn't put the shower as warm as usual, and my core was still cold after the shower. It's still cold now (a little, only). I'm wearing fleece pants and warm socks and it's wonderful.

About the cold (my brain goes samui wa (寒さ)), it's set to get colder though January. It should start to warm up a bit in February, and should be lovely by April. Woo. Bring on the spring.

1 comment:

  1. come on spring

    nice that you knew in advance to do the reheat exercises

    ReplyDelete