05 January 2012

beets, om nom nom

Well, it's more a case of coconut milk - lemon sauce nom. But the beats played a big part in it. Confused? Right. So we had fish and beets for dinner today. I like beetroot but I've never cooked a whole one before. We were having it as a side with fish today and (wow - I'm really struggling with clear syntax today)... you know what. I have no idea where I was going with this.
To sum up - beetroot tossed in a little oil and vinegar then drizzled (or full on covered) with a coconut lemon curry sauce is absolutely delicious. It made the fish, which had been the original benefactor of the sauce - pale in comparison (puns, puns, puns). Little did I realise, however, that coconut milk is mostly just fat and was unable to finish my nom-delicious beets. Much to my disappointment. But I'll have it for lunch tomorrow :) yeay.

Emm, earlier in the day, when I'd been preparing the beets, I noticed all the leafy bits about to be thrown out. Well, I didn't so much notice them as want to do something productive with them. It's a little hard not to notice something that you've had to practically saw off a vegetable. Anyway... (again)
I cooked the leafs and ate them. They had a nice flavour. I think they'd work really well as a substitute for green beans or something equally questionable in a a stir fry or something. River enjoyed them too. I think she likes vegs more than fruit. I got bored of them kind of fast, though. Leafy greens and me have an odd relationship because I find them really weird to eat. Like I could never scoff them like I do with rice or something. I kind of nibble at them, taking my time to dissect the flavour, but then I get bored that the eating process is taking so long. And if I try to eat more in a bite I find I don't like it any more. Weird. It's something I'd have beside me and chew on the way someone else would do to nuts or something... but I can't do that because it would be gone cold. Boo.

I feel like my other icons aren't getting much use - all my posts these days are about food. Ah well. Food is good. Right so. Bye then.

No comments:

Post a Comment