12 January 2012

Domestication

I'm getting an inkling about myself and I'm not sure if it's something other people already know about themselves. I'm biased when it comes to things I've made for myself. All the cooking over the last month or so is making me realize this. I really, really love the food I cook. It's the most amazing food I've ever eaten. But I've come to the idea that if I got the same food from a restaurant, I wouldn't be so absolutely in love with it. Something about having worked for the food makes it taste better.

What really brought this home is the bread I baked yesterday. It's yummy out - a honey oat white bread. Slightly too dense and slightly too sweet, but I think it's delicious despite these flaws. If I'd bought this bread in a shop I'd probably buy it again, but only if there was nothing nicer there. And therein lies my bias. Do I judge myself easier or things in a shop / restaurant harder? Or does criticism just not come into the picture at all with the things I make? It's weird.

Anyway. Bread. Yummy. Will be making it again at some stage. Well - I might look out for a different oat bread recipe that uses less honey and more oats.

I've started the big sew-up of my skirt. It's turning out well. Though the ends are a bit weird. They turn in instead of out. Some ironing might be in order. I'll leave you with a picture of the material.


So cute.
I'm turning into a right little domestic lady, amn't I?

2 comments:

  1. Domestic Yes

    Yes indeed, you are turning into a great cook, knitter and all round jack of all trades. Well done. And it's great that you enjoy the cooking and the eating of what you've cooked. I think we are more critical of food we get from professionals because they are professional and we are paying for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny, if I cook something nice I'll totally rave about it too. It's a little funny too though because if liam and I cook the same thing I usually prefer my version. My version tends to be a bit spicer though which is the taste that I prefer, liam's tends to be more buttery and herby.

    I guess by you cooking you are possibly making small modifications to suit your own taste.

    i can't wait to see your skirt.

    ReplyDelete