13 January 2012

Slow Cooker Ultimatum

This is it for the slow cooker. We are having beef brisket in a tomato / jalapeño sauce and if it doesn't work out I'm never using the slow cooker again (except for the odd time we have Irish Stew). I find most things cooked it in come out tasting very similar. That could be the recipes I'm choosing, but I'm kind of bored with it's limitations and I'm sick to death of it's contrariness. No matter what I cook, or for how long, after a few hours water will seep around the rim of the lid and start to sputter and splatter all over the place. And that's not even the annoying part, the annoying part is that's the water that's keeping the food moist. So we end up with a mess to clean up and dry dinner. Seriously, slow cooker, it's your last chance.

We had salmon-fish cakes last night. They were delicious. I'm 100% convinced that anything that comes out of America's Test Kitchen (the people behind Cook's Illustrated) is amazing. I have 4 of their books now, and I'm starting to use them almost exclusively. I wish they had a slow-cooker recipe, I didn't notice one in the books.

Did I mention the fajitas we had the other night? From Cook's Illustrated Cookbook, they were delicious. I would have had the chicken on it's own with nothing else - just chicken. It was so yummy. The chicken was so good, in fact, that I ended up pulling it out of the wrap so that I could enjoy its flavour to the fullest.

I've stopped taking pictures of meals because it's kind of a lot of effort and I need a tripod that can work well with a table. That and I'm usually too hungry to wait the 2 minutes of photo-taking.

I did no work on my skirt today. I hoovered and that pretty much sapped any care I had to do anything else. And I've had this weird eye-socket-headache on and off for the past few days. It's annoying.

Anyway - bye.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed something similar when I cook food in the rice cooker. Each individual item is totally tasteless and it's the sauce that has all the taste.

    It makes sense, the water has basically leached all the taste from individual items and blended them all together to create a delicious sauce.

    I hope your rice cooker worked out for you.

    It's funny to hear you are buying loads of cook books, i'm going a little mad with knitting and crochet books...

    ReplyDelete