18 December 2011

More dinners

I'm quite proud of the dinners I've made over the past week. There were one or two I wouldn't be bothered making again - not that they were bad, just that they were a little too far from my palate's comfort zone. Friday night was a light chili made with pork and tomatillos (with are tomatoes that taste more like apples. not bad, but a little odd. i had to get them in the shop and i didn't even know what section to get them in or even what they looked like). It was one of the dishes that was only okay.

Yesterday we went out for dinner (Thai - it was lovely). And today I made Chicken Pot Pie (2 individual ones). It was delicious, even if I did totally miss that the receipe called for cream and I didn't have any, and that I didn't reduce the sauce enough. And making the pie topping was so much fun. I've never made pie dough before and it turned out really well. There was a tiny bit left over and I ate it warm with some jam - so delicious.

I was cooking for 3 and a half hours (even if the best part of one hour was chilling the pie dough). It was worth it though - it turned out so lovely.

We went out last night (as I already mentioned) with two of Liam's work friends. Niall came back to the house for a while and River went mental. She barked and growled and was altogether a very unpleasant dog. She did settled down eventually, giving a little grown each time Niall moved around, but then, at one stage she was lying under Naill's legs and when he moved he hit her (being totally unaware that she was there). She turned on him and nipped his leg. I'm so disappointed in her and last night before bed all I could think was that we'll have to put her down. That led to awful dreams of her and me being in a accident and she was covered in cuts and broken bones.
But I really don't know what to do with her. She does have a fear-based vicious streak in her, and now I'm extra scared of having her around strangers. I wonder now is this why her old family gave her up and what did they do to make her this way.

Anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, my mouth literally watered looking at that...

    Man I can't wait to go back to Ireland for my mother's cooking at Christmas...! Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're worried, you could go to a dog trainer.

    We have trouble with Salome from time to time - she's extremely territorial and comes across as very aggressive (all she does is jump and bark, but it's still alarming if you're not used to her). Putting her on the lead helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, little river... you couldn't put her down. She was totally fine around me and liam. Have you done some research into it. It could be the stress of moving house and not being so used to having people around in a slightly unfamiliar place.

    ReplyDelete